What is classical Pilates?
Pilates is a complete method of training for mind and body. It produces improved balance and mobility, improving coordination and posture. Careful breathing control and high levels of concentration lead to a sense of relaxation and well-being.
Basic principles of classical Pilates
- smooth, controlled movements
- balance between strength and flexibility, between tension and relaxation
- core stability
- controlled breathing
Who does classical Pilates?
- Pilates is recommended for people of all ages and all shapes
- Anybody who needs to counterbalance the strains of their daily life, work or sporting activities.
- Pilates is the perfect complement to sporting activities and leads to an increase in perfomance levels in many sports like Golf, Tennis, Rowing and Climbing. Many professional sporting organisations employ professional Pilates Instructors as an integral part of their training programmes.
- Pilates is a great way to regain strength and shape after the birth of a baby.
- After injuries or an illness Pilates is a wonderful rehab method (see REHAB PILATES).
What benefits does Pilates bring?
- Strengthening of the deep-seated spinal musculature
- Flexibility of joints and the spine
- Reduction in back pain and muscle relaxation
- Shaping of stomach and waist
- Improved posture
- More elegant movement and self-awareness
- Mental relaxation through controlled breathing and self-control
"After 10 hours you feel better, after 20 hours you look better, after 30 hours you have a new body" J.H. Pilates